There is a wealth of adventures to be had in this ancient country, too many to take in on a single trip. Natural highlights include Lake Titicaca, the Andes mountain range, Colca Canyon and the Amazon jungle. Man made wonders also abound, such as the iconic Machu Picchu, the Nazca Lines, and colonial gems such as Cusco and Arequipa.
Teaching, medical care and renovation programs are ways you can leave a legacy and make your trip all the more memorable and significant.
Ways you can help
- Make a difference in a Peruvian village; renovating houses, teaching English, or providing medical care if you are medically trained
- Luxury lodge based hike to Machu Picchu
- Be in awe of Machu Picchu
- Encounter floating villages on Lake Titicaca
- View condor soaring majestically in Colca Canyon
- Marvel at the colonial wonders of Cusco and Arequipa
- Puzzle at the Nazca Lines from above
- Take a cooking class in Lima
- Explore the Amazon jungle in a luxury lodge
The price for a 14 day trip to Peru costs from $8,765 (£7,084, €8,312) per person, staying in 5* luxury accommodation. International flights are not included in this pricing, but naturally we can arrange these for you once we know where you would be flying from and your preferred cabin class.
Inkaterra Urubamba - Sacred Valley
New for 2015, built as a traditional “Peruvian casa hacienda”, Inkaterra Urubamba has just 12 rooms, but another 24 “boutique casitas” will be added soon....
Mountain Lodges of Peru - Machu Picchu
Mountain Lodges of Peru
Four upscale lodges make for a fabulous lodge-to-lodge trek to Machu Picchu along the Salkantay route, a longer alternative to the Inca Trail. All the...
Machu Picchu Pueblo - Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu Pueblo
Close to the train station, this rustic-style hotel is surrounded by gardens, both private and those that make up the Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary. The...
La Casona - Cusco
This hotel is so discreet that most people pass it by without even knowing it is there. The setting of a 16th century colonial manor...
Reserva Amazonica - Amazon- Peru
Our favorite lodge in the Peruvian Amazon, it is perched on the banks of the Madre de Dios river, with huge thatched buildings set into...
Flight Time from
15.5 hours (via Madrid)
Flight Time from
Flight Time from
Did you know
- Peru contains the second largest segment of the Amazon rainforest after Brazil
- The Peruvian Amazon covers 60% of the country
- The large biologically diverse area of Amazon in Peru is home to the most bird species in the world, the third largest number of mammals and a very high number of species of butterflies and orchids
- Peru shares borders with Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, Chile and Bolivia
- Modern day Peru has been home to many ancient civilizations, the largest and wealthiest of these was the Incas, whose empire ruled for over 100 years until the Spanish arrived in the 16th century
- The Inca Empire was centered around highlands of the Andes mountain range and the civilization’s capital city Cusco and mountain top citadel Machu Picchu are popular with visiting tourist to this day
- Spanish is the main language in Peru although many also speak the Inca language Quechua. The third official language is Aymara
- The currency of Peru is the Nuevo Sol
- Peru celebrates its Independence from the Spanish Empire on the 28th and 29th of July. It is known as ‘Fiestas Patrias’ which means ‘Patriotic Holidays’ or ‘National Holidays’ in Spanish
- The potato is native to the southern area of what is now modern day Peru
- While Peru remains a poor country it is one of the richest in terms of natural resources. It is one of the world’s top producers of gold, silver, copper, lead, iron and zinc and also has reserves of oil and natural gas
- Cuy (Guinea pig) is a traditional meat used in Peruvian meals, it is estimated that 65 million guinea pigs are consumed in the country each year
"Peru is one of those iconic countries that had been on our family's bucket list for years, so we were delighted to finally make it there, and Hands Up Holidays was the perfect company to do it with.You looked after us all the way, the personalized service was incredible, the hotels you proposed to us were extraordinary, and them time we spent in the village renovating the school was a great highlight - it really opened our children's eyes to just how lucky they are. Thank you again!"
Saskia - traveled to Peru with her husband and 3 teenage children
Start planning your tailor-made trip to Peru by contacting one of our specialists
Or click to submit your trip plans:Plan My Trip