Building a bathroom for a paraplegic in Bali
Paraplegics have a tough life anywhere, but it is worse in Bali as they are treated as outcasts. By volunteering in Bali, you can imbue a paraplegic with autonomy and dignity and provide him/her with a new lease of life as part of your luxury family volunteer vacation.
About this volunteering in Bali project
Balinese people are warm and gentle, so it comes as a complete surprise that many of them consider disabilities as the karmic result of past wrong-doing.
Disabled people are near-outcasts in Balinese society, and they lead very difficult lives; with no government support, their families are the sole caregivers, which places a large burden on them.
By funding and installing a disabled-accessible bathroom for a paraplegic, you can make a huge difference in their life. We work with people who could never afford this, living in remote, very poor villages.
A disabled-accessible bathroom improves their quality of life and enables them to perform tasks unaided that we take for granted.
You will not only get to know the paraplegic and their family, but also others in the village, so you will gain insights into their lives, and leave a lasting legacy.
Main volunteering activities:
- Funding and installing a disabled-accessible bathroom for a paraplegic
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-4 days
- Involves approx. 4-6 hours of helping each day
- Available all year round
- This volunteering trip blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities
- This project is also family-friendly, children from age 5 can participate.
Nearby fun activities
- Villages and Temples
- Snorkeling and diving
- Nature walks
- Cooking classes
Successes to date:
Families and school groups have been building bathrooms for paraplegics since 2015.
Paraplegics have been imbued with dignity and independence, and family incomes have risen.
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
- You are looking for an amazing family bonding experience
This trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities, such as: snorkeling, temples, villages, beaches, diving, and a cooking class
Suggested Luxury Volunteering in Bali Trip Itinerary
Bathrooms and Bliss – 10 Days
Example Price: US$9,735 per person, based on a family of four
This adventure not only enables you to give back and change the lives of a needy paraplegic by giving them a disabled accessible bathroom; you also get to indulge in spa treatments, delight in artistic Ubud, marvel at the culture, temples and rice paddies, and relax on a gorgeous beach…all in luxury.
- Immeasurably improving the quality of life of a paraplegic
- A private guided overview of the island, customized for you
- Balinese spa treatments
- Beach relaxation and watersports
- Snorkelling or diving
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Airport transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified
- Volunteering costs (e.g. $4,000 for a new bathroom)
Note: international flights are not included, but can be arranged, including private jet
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Bali, met at airport and transfer to artistic Ubud, stay at eco-luxe Capella Ubud. You have a welcome spa treatment to help you acclimate to your new home
- Day 2: You have a private guided tour to give you an overview of this magical island. Your guide will help you decide what you most want to see
- Day 3: At a time of your choosing, you are transferred to Candi Dasa, and check-in to Amankila. You have the rest of the day at leisure.
- Day 4-7: These days are sure to be the highlight as you build a disabled-accessible bathroom for a paraplegic who could never afford to have such an improvement to their quality of life.
- Day 8-9: You have two days to relax at the beach, enjoy water sports, take a cooking class, indulge in more spa treatments, or get active with white water rafting, mountain biking, surfing or hiking.
- Day 10: You have the day at leisure and then are transferred to the airport in time for your onward flight.
Note: This is a sample itinerary which can be customized to suit your exact requirements
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of the country, local volunteering projects, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirements, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Sail aboard a luxury yacht to lesser known, remote islands with world class diving and snorkeling
- Closer to Bali, hop over to Lombok and the tiny Gili islands
- On Bali itself, head to the west coast for some shopping, buzzing nightlife, and perfect waves
- Go diving in Raja Ampat
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.