Build a home in Rwanda
Build a home for genocide survivors in need of a decent place to live. A good home provides security and is healthier, so fewer sick days and school absenteeism, resulting in higher incomes and improved education outcomes.
About this project
Main volunteering activities:
- Clearing out debris
- Installing roofing
- Putting cladding on walls
- Assembling furniture
- Painting and glossing furniture
These activities may include working from a height, eg, using ladders, heavy lifting, using sharp or heavy tools.
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 5 days
- Involves approx. 8 hours of helping each day
- Available all year round (June to Sept best)
- This volunteering trip blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities
- This project is also family-friendly, but note that 15 is the minimum age for gorilla treks
- Kigali city tour
- Genocide memorials
Successes to date:
A technical training and vocational education school for vulnerable youth has been built, training 120 students each year.
150 healing and reconciliation homes have been built .
“‘In 1994 during the genocide, I was a child of 13 yrs. I saw
everything that happened in Rwanda as I was living there. We were totally killed and everything was ruined. No-one expected to live.
You who came stood beside us to give us something to live for.
We had nowhere to stay and were living with those who killed us. Those who offended us and
harassed us and killed us – we have forgiven them.
We had no hope. We thank God for you too. We thank you for this work of building the hearts and
houses. We are very joyful at the level we are at now.
It used to be too hard for me to speak about what happened
but now I can speak.”
Donatha Murekyisona – Genocide Survivor
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people, and you are OK with hearing challenging stories
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You are willing to roll up your sleeves
- You are OK with working on roofs, and handling sharp objects
Suggested Luxury Voluntourism Itinerary
Example Price: US$15,535 per adult
This luxury voluntourism adventure in Rwanda enables you and your family to be amazed by gorgeous scenery, encounter the magnificent mountain gorillas, learn more about the appalling genocide at a memorial, and fall in love with the real treasure: the Rwandan people. What’s more, leave a legacy by helping build a home for street-kids, giving them the right foundation to lift themselves out of poverty and have a bright future.
- Encountering mountain gorillas (min. age 15)
- Guided tour of colorful Kigali
- Visit an informative genocide memorial
- Building a home for street-kids
- Visit a fascinating Cultural Village
- Luxury accomodation throughout
- Volunteering costs
- Airport transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified (refer to full tour itinerary)
Note: International flights are not included, but can be arranged, including private jet
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Kigali, met at airport and be transfered to your hotel, The Retreat
- Day 2: Private guided tour of Kigali and the genocide memorial
- Day 3-5: Help build a home for street-kids in Kigali
- Day 6: Transfer to Ruhengeri, visit Cultural Village, stay at Bisate Lodge
- Day 7: Gorilla trek
- Day 8: Gorilla trek 2, to a different gorilla family
- Day 9: Transfer to Kigali and fly home
Note: This is a sample itinerary, which can be tailored to your specific requirements
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of the country, local volunteering projects, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirements, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Spend some time on Lake Kivu; take a boat ride, visit inspiring community cooperatives and moving memorials
- Spot chimpanzees in Nyungwe Forest Lodge
- Go in search of Golden Monkeys
- So on safari in Akagera National Park
- Bike or hike the Congo Nile Trail along Lake Kivu
- Take a spectacular scenic heli-flight
Discover more about Rwanda >>
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.