Build a Home for a Family in Sri Lanka
By volunteering in Sri Lanka you can get immersed in village life as you help alongside the locals to build a home that lasts
About Volunteering in Sri Lanka
The 2004 tsunami devastated the lives of thousands of Sri Lankans, and this is your opportunity to make a difference in this holistic rural community development model.
Having a safe, solid place to live is foundational to this model, and you can play a key part by funding and building a home for a family, helping alongside the locals and gaining unique insights into their lives and culture.
Main volunteering activities:
- Mixing and pouring concrete
- The volunteering project typically lasts for 2-4 days
- Approx. 4-8 hours each day
- Available all year round
- Blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities
- Family-friendly (min age 5)
- Beach relaxation
- Village life
- Cinnamon farm tours
- Historic Galle and its Fort
- Blue Whale and dolphin spotting
Successes to date:
The Post-Tsunami international funding has provided facilities and opportunities which have been open to all for free of charge and have benefitted over 20,000 villagers in 25 villages.
This project is for you if:
- You want to get involved in a project with a sustainable, tangible outcome
- You want your children to appreciate how fortunate they are
- You would like to roll up your sleeves and get involved
- You are seeking a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
View the Suggested Trip Itinerary below for ideas on what a trip including this project could look like.
Suggested Sri Lankan Trip Itinerary
Kids and Kindness – 14 Days
Example Price: US$6,890 per adult
This Sri Lankan luxury volunteer vacation combines wildlife with beaches with helping make a difference. With a bit of luck you should see leopards, elephants, crocodiles, sloth bears, and many birds. Relax on the beach – even spot Blue Whales – at the end, and start with a few days helping build a home for a family. All in eco-luxury.
- Immersion in village life
- Meaningful interaction
- Historic Galle Fort
- Life-changing experience building a home
- Encountering wildlife such as leopards and elephants
- Learning about tea and cinnamon production
- Beautiful beaches
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- Volunteering costs
Note: International flights are not included but we are delighted to arrange these for you
Sample Day by Day
Note: This is a sample itinerary - we delight in crafting your dream trip especially for you
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavor of the country, a local volunteering project, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences.
Any aspect of this itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation, to get it perfect for you.
Some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Head to the cultural triangle for a feel of the ancient history of Sri Lanka
- Visit Minneriya and witness the elephant migration – the largest gathering of elephants in Asia
- Explore the less-developed east coast and have beaches to yourselves
- Do some hiking in the stunning Tea Country
If you like the sound of this adventure then go ahead and share with family members, or on social media.