Building Homes in Cambodia
You can change the life of a needy Cambodian family by helping build a decent place for them to live. Building homes in Cambodia is a hugely meaningful add-on to your eco-luxury vacation.
About this project
By building homes in Cambodia, the family you build for will be healthier and more secure, and you will gain insights into their lives, hear their stories, share laughs, and show you care.
In your time here you will not only make a positive impact, you will also gain unique insights into Cambodian life and get to interact meaningfully with your gracious hosts.
Aims and objectives of the volunteering experience:
- To provide an in depth and meaningful experience whilst visiting Cambodia. You will come to understand and befriend Cambodians – both the poorest and the middle class.
- Learn about poverty and the issues involved: the causes of poverty, the results of poverty and uplifting solutions to poverty.
- To give Cambodians employment and the opportunity for them to teach you the skills of house building, which develops a deep sense of pride and fulfilment.
- The families chosen for houses are the poorest in their communities, and role models for their courage and self-belief to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.
Main volunteering activities:
- Work alongside the expert builders, following their direction.
- Hammering, painting, building walls, with local experts handing the tricky parts.
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Involves 5-6 hours of helping each day
- November to March is recommended
- This volunteering trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities
This project is also family-friendly.
Nearby fun activities
- Angkor Wat
- Ton Le Sap Lake
- Cooking class
- Landmine museum
Successes to date:
Over 100 homes have been built since 2006, and counting. Creating homes that are healthier and more secure.
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like a volunteer experience that has a tangible outcome: a new home
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
Suggested Itinerary for a luxury volunteer adventure in Cambodia
Building Homes – 10 Days
Priced From: US$10,485 per adult, US$8,275 per child
This adventure enables you and your family to not only be enchanted and amazed by the stunning ruins of Angkor and surrounding temples, cruise Ton Le Sap lake and see a floating village, and relax on a private eco-luxury island; you also get to interact with the Cambodian.
- Make your trip meaningful and leave a legacy by building a home for a needy family
- Private guided tour of Angkor and outlying temples, including the “Tomb Raider” temple
- Private cruise on Ton Le Sap Lake to a floating village
- Eco-luxury relaxation on Song Saa private island
- Beach fun, snorkeling, diving
- Luxury lodges and camps
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Airport transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified
- Volunteering costs ($5,000 per house)
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Siem Reap, met at airport and be transfered to eco-luxe Shinta Mani Bensley Collection. Spa treatments available
- Day 2-3: Private guided tour by an archaeologist of Angkor Wat and other temples (by bike if preferred) (B)
- Day 4-6: Build a house for a needy family. Visit Phare acrobats one evening and enjoy a private cooking class another evening (B,L)
- Day 7: Fly to Sihanoukville, speed boat to eco-luxe Song Saa Resort (B)
- Day 8-9: Relaxation: yoga, spa treatments, kayaking, snorkeling, nature treasure hunt for kids and more (B)
- Day 10: Transfer to Sihanoukville airport and fly out (B)
Note: This is a sample itinerary only - we delight in crafting trips to your exact requirements
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of Cambodia, and we delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirement, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Head to the jungles of Cardamom National Park and join an anti-poaching patrol
- Explore buzzing Phnom Penh and the sobering Killing Fields
- Take a luxury cruise down the Mekong into Vietnam
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.