Building homes in Zambia
Building a home for orphans or a widow and her children in a village near Victoria Falls enables you to interact with the locals and make a huge difference in their lives.
About this project
You can play a part in providing a place to live that withstands what the rainy season can throw at it in remote villages of Zambia.
The long-term aim is for these communities is for every person to have a safe, secure home. Your help towards this is hugely appreciated.
You don’t need any building skills – you will be helping alongside local experts who do all the tricky parts; you get the satisfaction of handing over the completed home to the family you have gotten to know.
Main volunteering activities:
- Brick laying
- Smoothing the cladding
- General DIY
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Involves approx. 6-7 hours of helping each day
- This can be done year round; May to September is recommended
- This volunteering trip blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities
- This project is also family-friendly, children from age 10 can participate.
- Victoria Falls (on foot or from above)
- White-water rafting
- River cruises on the Zambezi
- Luxury train rides
- Nature walks
Successes to date:
Since 2006 our charity partner has been building classrooms, over 100 homes and digging boreholes for fresh drinking water across four communities in Zambia.
Homes have been built for orphans, as well as widows with children, and the elderly looking after orphans, and people with disabilities.
Weather-proof homes have the additional benefit of reducing sickness and thus increasing school attendance and education levels, as well as incomes, as parents are able to be more productive.
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You would like a volunteer experience where you roll up your sleeves and get involved
- You have a passion for people having a decent place to live
This trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities, such as: Victoria Falls, safari, scenic flights, whitewater rafting, and cultural tours.
Suggested Trip Itinerary
Teaching and Safari– 10 Days
Example Price: US$9,890 per adult
On this luxury volunteer trip you and your family get to not only interact with the Zambian people and leave a legacy by building a home for a widow and her family; you will also be in awe of the awesome Victoria Falls, thrill to rafting or kayaking on the Zambezi River, and delight in close encounters with the Big 5 animals… all in luxury.
- Build a house for a widow and her family
- Big 5 safari in pristine wilderness
- Private guided tour of Victoria Falls from both the Zambian and Zimbabwean sides
- Sundowner cruise on the river
- Optional white water rafting, bungee jump, or kayaking
- Scenic flight over Victoria Falls
- Optional walking safari
- Luxury lodges and camp
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Domestic flights
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Volunteering costs
- Meals as specified
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Livingstone, met at airport and transfer to Tongabezi Lodge
- Day 2: Tour of Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Day 3-5: Build a home for a widow and her children
- Day 6: Free day – white-water rafting, bungee jumping, game drive option
- Day 7: Fly to South Luangwa, check-in to Robin’s House, afternoon safari
- Day 8-9: Morning and afternoon game drives or walking safari
- Day 10: Transfer to airport, fly to Lusaka or Jo’burg and fly out
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of the region, local volunteering projects, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirements, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Take an extended walking safari in South Luangwa or in the even more remote North Luangwa
- Explore other safari gems such as Kafue or Lower Zambezi
- Pop over into Botswana for Chobe National Park, or head south into the Okavango Delta
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.