Conserving bears in Romania
Help rescued bears at a sanctuary to thrive by creating enrichments to stimulate them and assist the permanent caregivers. Play a part in giving rescued bears as close to a normal life as possible.
About this project
As one of the world’s most beloved animals, you will be shocked at how often bears are exploited and mistreated. You have the opportunity here to help care for bears that have been living in cramped conditions and abused.
You get to help at a bear sanctuary, providing the bears with an environment that is conducive to their flourishing. The sanctuary houses over 100 bears, providing them with large enclosures where they can live contentedly and in peace, free from mistreatment. Your activities include preparing the food for the bears, monitoring their well-being, creating ‘enrichments’ to stimulate them, maintaining their enclosures, and simply enjoying observing and delighting in them.
Main volunteering activities:
- Creating enrichments to stimulate the bears
- Preparing their meals
- Maintaining their enclosures
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Involves approx. 6 hours of helping each day
- May-October is recommended
- This volunteering trip blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities
- This project is also family-friendly, children from age 15 can participate.
Nearby fun activities
- Brasov town tour
- Dracula’s castle
- Wildlife hides
- City tours
Successes to date:
Since its founding in 2006, hundreds of bears have been rescued from inhumane conditions and provided with a setting that replicates as closely as possible the wilderness they grew up in, where they are safe, content and free from pain.
This project is for you if:
- You love animals and want to help conserve them
- You love bears and want to help ensure that rescued bears are treated well
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
- Your children are over 15
This trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities. Nearby activities: Brasov town tour, Dracula’s castle, wildlife hides.
Suggested Trip Itinerary
Wildlife and Wilderness – 10 Days
Example Price: US$4,885 per adult
This adventure not only enables you to bond as a family and help conserve bears at a sanctuary, you also get to explore the highlights of this hidden gem of a country.
- Help protect and enrich bears at a sanctuary
- Dracula’s Castle (Bran Castle)
- Historic Brasov and its Black Church
- The fortified Saxon church of Viscri
- Fascinating Bucharest Old Town
- Deer stalking and bear viewing on a Count’s Estate
- Stunning Sighisoara and Sibiu towns
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Bucharest, met at airport, walking tour of the Old Town, stay at Epoque Hotel
- Day 2: Transfer to Dracula’s Castle, private guided tour of Brasov and the Black Church. Stay at Kronwell Hotel
- Day 3-5: Bear conservation volunteering
- Day 6: Transfer to Zabala and stay at Count Mikes’ Zabola Estate. Archery, Boat ride on the lake, Croquet & gin tonic for the adults, Treasure hunt for the kids. Bear watching in late afternoon
- Day 7: Cooking class, hiking, deer stalking, bear watching, bonfire and BBQ dinner
- Day 8: Transfer to the Saxon village of Viscri, visit the brickmaker and blacksmith, shepherds, the fortified church, watch the cows come home. Stay at Viscri 125
- Day 9: Hay stacking with the farmers, then transfer to UNESCO World Heritage, Sighisoara; private tour then on to Sibiu, overnight at Council Hotel
- Day 10: City tour of Sibiu in morning, fly home in afternoon
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of the country, local volunteering projects, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirements, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Do some mountain biking in the mountains
- Delve into fascinating towns like Sibiu and Cluj Napoca
- Go green in the Danube Delta
- Delight in the wooden churches of Maramures
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.