Conserving Elephants in Thailand
Care for elephants and learn an enormous amount about these gentle giants. Prepare their meals, feed, walk and watch them socialize and bathe.
About this project
Elephants were historically used to move and carry heavy objects such as tree logs, but with deforestation and loss of habitat, elephants in Thailand face their greatest challenges ever.
You can help care for elephants at an inspiring center in Northern Thailand; help these beautiful creatures and gain an insight into Thai culture as you get to know the people who permanently care for the elephants.
No riding of elephants takes place here, and you will learn about why this is – the torture elephants have to endure in order to be broken and made rideable.
Main volunteering activities:
- Help prepare meals, watch them eat, walk with them and observe them bathe and socialize
- Learn about diseases affecting elephants and how to treat them when they are sick
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Involves 5-6 hours of helping each day
- This volunteering trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities
This project is family-friendly, children of all ages can participate.
Nearby fun activities
- Thai cooking class
- Chiang Mai tours
- Night market
- Kayaking and rafting
Successes to date:
Hundreds of elephants have been rescued from appalling conditions and rehabilitated to live happy lives, as nature intended
This project is for you if:
- You love elephants and want to help conserve them
- You want to learn more about elephants
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
- You are ok working in the heat and possibly rain
- You understand that there is no elephant riding
The Conserving Elephants trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities. Scroll through the images on this page for inspiration.
Suggested Thailand Trip Itinerary
Elephants and Ecstasy
Example Price: US$11,990 per adult
This adventure enables you to help care for elephants, as well as explore the contrasting cities of Bangkok and Chiang Mai, indulge in spa treatments, take a cooking class, relax, snorkel or dive, in eco-luxury.
- Bond as a family as you care for and learn about Thailand’s wildlife symbol, the elephant
- Eco-luxury resort
- Private city tours, customized for you
- Optional cooking classes
- Optional spa treatments
- Beach relaxation and watersports
- Snorkelling or diving
- Dine in a tree house
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Lunches while volunteering
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- DAY 1: Arrive Bangkok, met at airport and transfer to your hotel, The Siam
- DAY 2: Private guided tour of Bangkok, customized for you
- DAY 3: Morning flight to Chiang Mai, met at airport, walking tour of Chiang Mai, and transfer to the Four Seasons
- DAY 4-6: Assist with elephant conservation: preparing their meals, walking with them, watching them bathe and socialize
- DAY 7: Fly to Bangkok, met at airport, fly to Soneva Kiri on Koh Kood island
- DAY 8-9: Relaxation and water sports
- DAY 10: Fly to Bangkok to connect with your flight home
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of Thailand. and we delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirement, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Explore Bangkok – by foot, boat, bicycle and tuk-tuk
- Take a cruise aboard a converted rice barge from Bangkok to the ancient capital of Ayutthaya
- Combine with Angkor Wat in neighboring Cambodia
- Combine with Luang Prabang in neighboring Luang Prabang
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.