Wildlife rescue center in Costa Rica
Care for monkeys, parrots and more and help them rehabilitate, whilst learning an enormous amount about these fascinating animals.
About this project
You can make a difference at a rescue center for injured, orphaned or illegally traded animals.
You can help provide these animals with a better life and at the same time discover the importance of preserving the natural biodiversity of this stunning country for future generations.
The center was set up by a Veterinarian and his son who are passionate about animals and the environment. They serve as a transition space for animals to reintroduce to the wild.
You can play a role in preserving the biodiversity of Costa Rica’s wildlife.
Main volunteering activities:
- Preparing meals and feeding the animals
- Introducing the animals to their new living quarters
- Cleaning the living areas
- Creating enrichments to stimulate the animals
- Assisting the veterinarian on his rounds
- Constructing and repairing shelters for animals
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 2-5 days
- Involves 3-6 hours of helping each day
- November to April is recommended
- This volunteering trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities
Everyone including younger children can enjoy getting close to the animals (including sloths, kinkajous, raccoons, owls, peccaries, monkeys (spider, squirrel and howler monkeys), macaws and parrots and even help feed them.
Nearby fun activities
- Night jungle walking
- Kayaking, SUP
- White-water rafting,
- Nature walks
- Wildlife safari
Successes to date:
Hundreds of animals have been successfully rehabilitated and reintroduced into the wild. You can play a role in preserving the biodiversity of Costa Rica’s wildlife.
This project is for you if:
- You love animals and want to help conserve them
- You want to learn more about animals
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
- You are ok working in the heat and possibly rain
The Wildlife Rescue Center trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities. Scroll through the images on this page for inspiration. Nearby activities: zip lining, night jungle walking, kayaking, SUP, volcanoes, white-water rafting, hanging bridges nature walks, wildlife safari.
Suggested Itinerary for a Luxury Family Volunteer Vacation in Costa Rica
Wildlife and Water
Example Price: US$7,240 per adult, US$5,590 per child under 12
This adventure enables you to help care for animals at a wildlife rescue center, as well as visit a Fair Trade coffee farm, Poas and Arenal Volcanos, relax in hot springs, and thrill with zip lining and white-water rafting, all in eco-luxury.
- Caring for, and learning all about, monkeys, parrots, and more
- Fair Trade coffee tour
- Be in awe of Poas volcano
- Hike around Arenal volcano
- Go zip lining through the rainforest
- Night jungle nature walk
- Thrill with white-water rafting in the Pacuare Rive
- 5 Star Eco-Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private Airport transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive San Jose, Costa Rica You are met at the airport and transferred to your luxury boutique hotel, Finca Rosa Blanca
- Day 2: Learn all about coffee production in a private guided walk through a Fair Trade coffee farm and then head to be amazed by Poas Volcano before arriving in Arenal, where you can round-off by relaxing in one of the hot springs. Stay at Nayara Tented Camp (B)
- Day 3-5: These are sure to be the most fulfilling days as you help conserve and care for Costa Rica’s indigenous wildlife, including monkeys, macaws, sloths and peccaries (B,BL)
- Day 6: Today you can choose from a range of options, such as zip lining, hiking around Arenal Volcano, kayaking, or a floating safari. Finish with a nocturnal nature walk (B,D)
- Day 7: Your white-water rafting adventure begins today, in gentle rapids to get you accustomed, finishing up at the fabulous Pacuare Lodge, deep in the jungle, accessed by raft (B,L,D)
- Day 8: You can choose from a variety of activities on offer at Pacuare Lodge, including hiking to a waterfall, zip lining, canyoning, visiting an indigenous village, or indulging in the spa (B,L,D)
- Day 9: You raft out this morning, and from here the rapids are more exciting, but nothing crazy (Grade 3 max), and you are driven back to San Jose for a taste of city life, Costa Rican style, staying at Grano de Oro (B)
- Day 10: You are transferred to the airport in time for your flight home (B)
Note: This is a sample itinerary only which is to be customized to your exact requirements
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of Costa Rica, and we delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirement, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Head into the jungle to spot wildlife such as sloth, monkeys, puma and even the elusive jaguar
- Visit Tortuguero for a floating safari and observe turtle nesting and hatching (seasonal)
- Soak up the sun with some time on any of the countless beaches
- Experience yet another biosphere in the Monteverde cloud forest
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.