Installing eco-friendly stoves in Belize
Help families be healthier and safer with stoves that reduce burns and respiratory problems, and are much better for the environment.
About this project
Belize has a substantial indigenous Mayan population, who continue to live in conditions that impact on their life expectancy and quality of life. Major health concerns, particularly among children, are burns and respiratory problems from smoke inhalation, caused by open fire cooking stoves.
By installing new stoves that are much more efficient and dispel the smoke through a chimney and cover up the flame, you can help to ensure that these incidents are greatly reduced.
Main volunteering activities:
- Helping alongside local experts, mixing cement, constructing the stove walls, installing the chimney, glazing the sides
- Volunteering project typically lasts for 2-3 days
- Involves 4-6 hours of helping each day
- November to April is recommended, but you can help anytime
- This volunteering project blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities
You can also assist Mayan farming families improve their livelihoods with sustainable agriculture and environmental conservation projects.
Nearby fun activities
- Chocolate making
- Snorkeling and diving
- Kayaking and Sup
- Bushwalking trails
- Night jungle walking
- Mayan ruins
- Organic farm tour
Successes to date:
Hundreds of stoves have been installed throughout Belize, making homes safer and healthier, and countless thousands of trees have been saved through the use of eco-friendly stoves.
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
The trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities.
Suggested Belize Trip Itinerary
Stoves and Sunshine in Belize
Example Price: US$6,885 per adult
This adventure not only enables you to bond as a family by installing an eco-friendly stove, you also get to explore the highlights of this tiny gem of a country.
- Build an eco-friendly stove for a Mayan family
- Chocolate making
- Organic farm visit
- Snorkeling on the Belize Barrier Reef
- Mayan ruins
- Hiking to a stunning cave with a waterfall
- Night jungle hiking in search of wildlife
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Breakfasts and meals as specified
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- DAY 1: Arrive Belize City, connecting flight to Punta Gorda, met at airstrip and transfer to Copal Tree Lodge. Guided tour of the organic farm. Spa treatments available
- DAY 2: Visit Lubantuun Mayan ruins, learn how to make tortillas in a village home, hike to a waterfall inside a cave
- DAY 3-5: Install an energy conserving stove for a Mayan family
- DAY 6: Private boat trip ‘snorkeling with the chef’ on the Belize Barrier Reef, BBQ on board
- DAY 7: Chocolate making class. Transfer by car to Placencia, stay at It’zana Resort, night jungle hike looking for wildlife in Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve
- DAY 8-9: Beach relaxation, kayaking in a manatee lagoon, diving, snorkeling, water sports. Spa treatments available
- DAY 10: Fly to Belize City to connect with your flight home
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of Belize, and we delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirement, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Take a heli-flight over the Blue Hole, and snorkel or dive it
- Swim with whale sharks (March to June)
- In-depth exploration of Mayan ruins
- Chill out on one of the cayes, including private islands
- Combine with Guatemala or Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula
Discover more about Belize >>
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.