Renovate Homes in New Orleans
Renovate homes damaged by hurricane. You can make homes liveable that have been derelict for years and help families have the security of a home.
About this project
On the morning of Monday, August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina made landfall. The most
severe loss of life occurred in New Orleans, Louisiana, which flooded as the levee system catastrophically failed.
Eventually 80% of the city and large tracts of neighboring parishes became flooded, and the floodwaters lingered for weeks.
At least 1,836 people lost their lives in the hurricane and in the subsequent floods. Total damage was $81 billion.
Fifteen years on, re-building work continues, and lives are still dislocated.
You can play a part in helping the largely neglected, lower-income areas be restored, by assisting in the renovation and refurbishment of houses – beautifying them and restoring community pride.
The people of New Orleans are among the friendliest you will find anywhere, and spending time getting to know them through your volunteering is sure to be a highlight you will treasure.
In addition, the city itself is full of architectural and cultural treasures, which your local guide will be only too pleased to show you.
Main volunteering activities:
- General DIY and renovations
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Involves approx. 6-7 hours of helping each day
- There is work to be done all year round
- This volunteering trip blends well with nearby New Orleans sightseeing and relaxation activities
- This project is also family-friendly, children from age 10 can participate.
Nearby fun activities
- Swamp tours & plantation visits
- City tours
- Mardi Gras
- Jazz shows
- Cooking class
Successes to date:
These past few years we have renovated a total of 4 houses, did a number of home owner projects, neighborhood sweeps, and storm water management projects.
In 2005, the ninth ward was heavily damaged by hurricane Katrina and Rita. Before the storms hit there were 14,008 people residing in the neighborhood. Now there are roughly 5,000 people residing in the neighborhood.
This project is for you if:
- You want to play a part in revitalizing neighborhoods and building stronger communities
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
- You like to work hard and have a luxurious lodge to return to at the end of the day
This trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities. Nearby activities: swamp tours, kayaking, French Quarter tours, cooking class, plantation visits, Mardi Gras, jazz shows.
A Suggested Luxury Volunteer Vacation
Renovating the Big Easy – 7 Days
Example Price: US$4,500 per adult
This adventure not only enables you to bond as a family and help renovate a home damaged by hurricane, you also get to explore the delights of New Orleans including the French Quarter, kayak in a bayou, and gain insights into the history of slavery with a plantation visit…all in luxury.
- Making a home liveable that was damaged by hurricane
- Private guided tour of New Orleans, customized for your preferences
- Kayaking on a secluded bayou
- A fascinating plantation visit
- Jazz show
- Cajun cooking class
- 5-Star hotels throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Cooking class
- Jazz show
- Kayak trip
- Plantation visit
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- DAY 1: Arrive New Orleans, you are met at the airport and transferred to your hotel, Windsor Court
- DAY 2: Private guided tour of New Orleans, customized for you, private Cajun cooking class
- DAY 3-5: Renovations of a home damaged by hurricane
- DAY 6: Private kayak trip on a secluded bayou in morning, plantation visit in afternoon, family-friendly jazz show
- DAY 7: Free at leisure until your private transfer to the airport for your flight home
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of the region, local volunteering projects, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirements, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Take a tour of the Tabasco factory
- Visit the Lake Martin bird sanctuary
- Head over to Texas for some amazing cities
- Take a cruise on the Mississippi River
Discover more about the USA >>
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.