Teaching in a Zambian village
Teaching in a village school near Victoria Falls enables you to leave a legacy and give young people the best gift – education.
About this project
You can play a part in providing improved and advanced education for orphaned and vulnerable children in remote villages of Zambia.
The long-term aim is for these communities to have education levels raised so that children can enter gainful employment and create sustainable income generating enterprises for them to support their extended families. Your help is hugely appreciated.
If you are a qualified teacher, we would love for you to impart your skills and leave a legacy with these wonderful children, who are so eager to learn.
Even if you are not a qualified teacher, opportunities are available at the schools by assisting a teacher, or as a reading partner.
It is also possible to help at both the school and the medical clinic! This is usually done by spending the mornings teaching and the afternoons in the clinic.
Please note that the schools are closed for the Christmas break during much of December, a month at Easter and for the month of August.
Main volunteering activities:
- Teaching your choice of subjects: English, maths, writing, science, life skills
- Being a reading partner
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Involves approx. 6 hours of helping each day
- May to September is recommended
- This volunteering trip blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities
- This project is also family-friendly, children from age 10 can participate.
Nearby fun activities
- Victoria Falls
- Kayaking, rafting
- Scenic flights
- Nature walks
Successes to date:
Classrooms have been constructed in 30 schools, and hundreds of children have received a good education, with several going on to university.
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to interact meaningfully with the local people
- You would like an experience that has a tangible outcome
- You would like a volunteer experience that is not overly physical
- You have teaching experience (not essential)
- You speak English
- You have a passion for education
This trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities. Nearby activities: Victoria Falls, safari, scenic flights, whitewater rafting, kayaking.
Suggested Trip Itinerary
Teaching and Safari– 10 Days
Example Price: US$9,890 per adult
On this adventure you and your family get to not only interact with the Zambian people and leave a legacy by teaching Zambian youth; you will also be in awe of the awesome Victoria Falls, thrill to rafting or kayaking on the Zambezi River, and delight in close encounters with the Big 5 animals…all in luxury.
- Do good and feel good by teaching in a village school near Victoria Falls
- Private guided tour of Victoria Falls from both the Zambian and Zimbabwean sides
- Sundowner cruise on the river
- Optional white water rafting, bungee jump, or kayaking
- Scenic flight over Victoria Falls
- Big 5 safari in pristine wilderness
- Optional walking safari
- Luxury lodges and camps
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Breakfasts and meals as specified
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Livingstone, met at airport and transfer to Tongabezi Lodge
- Day 2: Tour of Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe (B)
- Day 3-5: Teaching in a village school (B,L)
- Day 6: Free day: white-water rafting, bungee jumping, game drive options (B)
- Day 7: Free day: Fly to South Luangwa, check-in to Robin’s House, afternoon safari (B,D)
- Day 8-9: Morning and afternoon game drives or walking safari (B,L,D)
- Day 10: Transfer to airport, fly to Lusaka or Jo’burg and fly out (B)
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of the region, local volunteering projects, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirements, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Take an extended walking safari in South Luangwa or in the even more remote North Luangwa
- Explore other safari gems such as Kafue or Lower Zambezi
- Pop over into Botswana for Chobe National Park, or head south into the Okavango Delta
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.