Tongabezi is your luxury safari lodge located on the banks of the Zambezi River, a short distance from Victoria Falls, set on a private estate of 55 acres – keep your eyes peeled for hippos. This is your perfect base from where you can help build a home for a widow and their family
About this project
Main volunteering activities:
- Preparing the elephant’s vitamin balls
- Tracking their feeding patterns
- Assisting the vet on their daily checks
- Washing the elephant
- Cleaning their beds
- Maintaining the gardens
- The typical number of days on this fulfilling project 2-3, but you can spend longer
- It involves 7-8 hours of helping each day, starting at 7:30am
- November to April is recommended, but you can help anytime
- This volunteering project blends well with activities in central Sri Lanka, including Kandy and the rest of the Cultural Triangle
Successes to date:
The foundation has cared for over 80 elephants. There are currently nine elephants being cared for at the sanctuary.
One of the resident elephants was the first in the country to be born in captivity.
The Foundation’s mahout training program is the only one to be recognized and accredited by the Sri Lankan Department of Wildlife.
This project is for you if:
- You are looking for a project that enables you to learn an enormous amount about elephants
- You would like an experience that has a variety of activities
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and don’t mind getting dirty
- Exploring the fascinating Cultural Triangle
- The Tea Country hill stations
- Leopard spotting in Yala National Park
Suggested Itinerary for Sri Lanka
in Sri Lanka
Price: US$6,000 per adult, $3,800 per child under 12
This adventure enables you to bond as a family by conserving critically endangered sea turtles, plus you get to explore the wildlife highlights of Sri Lanka
- Rolling up your sleeves and caring for elephants
- Jeep safari to see elephants in the wild
- Awesome views and the engineering marvel that is Sigiriya Rock
- Bustling Kandy and the Temple of the Tooth
- Epic train ride
- The waterfalls and scenery of Horton Plains
- The beauty of the Tea stations
- A working tea factory
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Domestic flights
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified
- Volunteering costs
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note: This is a sample itinerary only, and we delight in crafting unique itineraries to meet your family’s exact requirements
The lodge features a variety of accommodation options, including five private houses and four river cottages, all of which are individually designed and decorated with an emphasis on comfort and relaxation. Each of the houses and cottages has its own private deck or patio with stunning views of the river.
Tongabezi offers a range of activities and experiences, including game drives, river safaris, bird watching, fishing, and guided walks to nearby Victoria Falls. The lodge also has a full-service spa, which offers a variety of treatments using natural, locally sourced ingredients.
Tongabezi is committed to sustainability and eco-friendliness, with a focus on minimizing its environmental impact and supporting the local community. The lodge has been awarded numerous accolades for its sustainable practices, including the prestigious 2015 Wild Asia Responsible Tourism Award.
Overall, Tongabezi offers a luxurious and peaceful retreat in a beautiful natural setting, with a range of activities and experiences that highlight the rich wildlife and culture of Zambia.
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.