Traveling with kids is fun but it certainly has its challenges. It’s important to stay cool and it surely pays to know what to do when the going gets tough.
1. Choose a hotel accommodation with two bedroom suites. You’ll pay more for this convenience but take note that a good night’s sleep is priceless, especially for a nice and memorable family trip.
2. Make destination plans and advance reservations. You want to save your kids from discomfort of having to wait so make hotel and transportation reservations ahead of time. Call in advance to check availability of car rentals, a crib or high chair or rent strollers. Long travels can be hard on little kids, so when picking a destination, it’s wise to choose hotels that are located close to attractions which saves time and lessens the need for transportation.
3. Travel insurance is something you shouldn’t leave home without. Travel insurance can seem to be an unnecessary expense, but it’s always best to protect yourself and your children.
4. Load your Ipads with games and videos. Have your kids play games and watch their favorite shows to pass the time on long flights. But be sure to have some technology-free time on the trip itself, so your children can appreciate their new environment.
5.Choosing the right destination can save a lot of headaches. Consider your children’s interests, yes but it’s also important to consider yours. Some destinations are more family-friendly than others, in terms of attractions and attitudes to children; your travel consultant can advise you on this.
6. Bring small treats like food, toys and coloring books to entertain them and reward your kids for good behavior.
7. Go to souvenir shops of the places you visit and buy mementos from the trip so kids will be reminded and learn something from the fun trip.
8.Remain cool when your little ones become cranky. Remember, patience is a virtue.
9.Take it slow. Things are different when you travel solo or as a couple. Take advantage of the morning activities or adventures while everyone is fresh and energetic. Take a break during lunch and consider getting some rest back at the hotel before heading out in the afternoon. Then at the end of the day, slow down again, rest and sleep tight at night.
10. Consider adding a volunteer component. Children as young as 5 can discover the joy of making a difference, and the wildlife conservation projects we offer enable them to get involved, and learn an enormous amount about the animals, be they elephants, turtles, monkeys, sloths, parrots or kangaroos.
Family travel shouldn’t be put on hold until the kids get older. It just takes careful planning, the right attitude and flexibility. You’ll be pleased you did it and you’ll be thankful for the discipline you have imparted to your children especially when they grow up and you’ll see the positive effects of traveling with your children. It’s something they will bring along with them wherever they go.